Friday, May 28, 2010

When God Says No

Hi There,

Has God ever told you no before? Well, recently I had a job interview and got offered the job at the end of the interview. It sounded like a really great opportunity and so my husband and I spent a few days praying about it but in the end, we just didn't feel like it was right. It was strange because both of us wanted to go but yet there wasn't peace about it in my heart. It didn't feel right to me. So I didn't take the job. It was disappointing. Yet I realize that the important thing about this whole situation is that we listened to the nudging of God. Just because we want something, doesn't make it right- doesn't make it God's will.

I've heard a bunch of times about unanswered prayers- that God doesn't answer all prayers. But sometimes I wonder if he has answered and it is 'no' or 'not yet' or 'wait'. All those things can be very hard to hear for us and sometimes we may not listen. After all, how often has it happened where something has come along your path that seemed just right for you and you went ahead and pursed it without consulting God about it? It's not easy to hear a no answer to something we want. It's disappointing and somewhat frustrating. But think about it, when God tells us 'no' to something (even something like dating that boy you have a crush on)- that is a perfect indication that he has a plan. He will tell us yes to something else.

After all, if we choose to follow God than we have to follow him wherever he leads and wherever he doesn't lead. I think sometimes there is such a huge focus on the going, on the yes answers and how to walk in obedience to that. Have you ever heard a sermon preached where the pastor talked about listening to God's no answers? I guess for me, it seems that I hear so often about the doing, the going- people talking about how to step out in faith and go where God calls. Well, what about stepping out in faith and listening when God tells us not to go somewhere? Listening to a no answer takes just as much faith as listening to a yes answer. Hearing a no means you may be left at square one again, you may still feel stuck in the same place, you may be confused, frustrated and wondering what in the world is going on- it takes faith to trust God that he has a plan in place.

So I encourage you today to consult with God about all your choices you have to make and then to have the courage and faith to accept his no (and the yes ones too, of course) answers, even when it is something you really want. God knows best. And we're following him and he's got the road map. So let's trust God for the plans for our lives and for each step we need or don't need to take.

No comments: